Thursday, April 16, 2009

Overwhelmed!

I'm somewhat anal about research. When we planned a trip to Disney World, I had lists for each day, each park, each ride. I researched the rides to find out which would be suitable for the kids age/height, which ones we HAD to ride, which ones to ride if we had time to kill, and which ones were low on the list, to do ONLY if we had nothing else going on. Which park had the best restaurants, the best bathrooms, the best fireworks shows, etc. You get my point? Sadly, I'm not exaggerating. I like to research.

So, I've googled every book on home schooling, gotten several books at the library, joined just about every Yahoo group in Austin and the surrounding areas, from Classical Education groups to "unschooling" groups, even some field trip groups. I've bookmarked every website I've come across that even has the words "home school" on it. I've talked to every person I know that home schools, about schedules, curriculum, and what they would do differently.

I don't think you can ever know enough about anything, but especially when it comes to my kid's education, I'm probably a little over thinking it. But I can't help feeling like I just want the absolute best, and want my kids to just take to it and love it, and all of us to be happy and for everything to just magically *click* because I picked the right curriculum.

I realize I'm a bit obsessive also. But, like I said, this is my kid's education at stake!! This determines whether or not they get into college, or end up living with us the rest of their lives (God, no!) So, how do you just take the plunge and pick one? There are pros and cons to every curriculum I've looked at, and I just get anxiety when I think that I will actually have to BUY something SOON!

And as usual, I get overwhelmed, and say, like Scarlett O'Hara, "I'll think about that tomorrow!"

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog while researching homeschooling today. I had to laugh OUTLOUD through your whole post because that is ME!!! My daughter is still a year and a half away from the potential of homeschooling. But that time limit doesn't stop me! I am in the process of reading A WEll Trained Mind, Beyond Survival, What Every First Grader Should Know, and many many more! I have researched a ton of curriculum also! I am a little bit obsessive, but like you, I agree, this is my kid's education! It seems to me that every curriculum fits differently in every family. Which means how can you possibly decide with so many factors!!!??? So far, I have decided on Rocket Phonics. I am going to try and do Before Five in a Row for preschool next year and see how that goes. I guess I have a whole year to figure out the rest. Many blessings to you as you choose to move forward in faith into homeschooling. Oh, and I love Scarlett O'Hara! At least you aren't saying "well, Frankly, my dear, I don't give a #@*@"!! I blogged about a recent homeschooling conference I attended:http://theirwinscircus.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

    Dana Irwin

    ReplyDelete