Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I Just Love My Mailman!

I've been checking the mail everyday as packages are arriving now, and I love it. Sometimes I flip through a book and go, "Holy cow, what did I get myself into?" But for the most part it's so exciting. I didn't order a lot of teacher manuals and I think I'm gonna have to go back and get some, a couple of books I got I really don't know how to go about some things.

And of course, I ordered more goodies. I did get the Mona Brooke's Drawing with Children ($8.95) and the complete set of Mind Benders A1-A4 ($7.00 each book) which will be for Riley's Logic course, I got supplements for History and Science, the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia ($19.77) and the Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History ($13.59). For music, A Young Person's Guide to Music, recommended by TWTM for classical music ($3.62) and for Riley, Vocabulary from the Classical Roots 5 ($9.50) and a Handwriting Without Tears Cursive for each kid ($6.95 each).

See, I've been on a roll! I can't wait to get started.

I'm kind of looking at this like I do with new recipes. I see one I like, I try it, and follow it to the 'T'. If I don't like it after that, I know if I should 86 it, or just make some changes to it. I am pretty much following what the Well Trained Mind recommends, to the letter of the law! I have never done this before, so I am just following the recipe I have. After a few weeks, we may hate some, we may love some. Then I can make some changes and try other things. But, at least I have a starting off point, and something to make me not feel so overwhelmed. Even if we just did the books I have right now for this next year, I think they will be getting a FAR superior education to what they are currently getting.

And of course, I will be updating our progress along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment