Friday, July 10, 2009

Nerves are Kicking in!

I have decided to start home schooling the first week of August. All of a sudden, I am freaking out. Am I ready? Do I have what I need? Am I *really* going through with this? Sometimes I lay awake at night and worry if I'm making the right decision. My kids don't always get along, are they going to kill each other, or turn on me, while we are "at school"? Lots of questions, no answers until we just jump in.

I have a friend who is also on this journey with me, home schooling different age groups for the first time, and she said she will start with just a couple of basic courses, and slowly add a few in here and there. That sounds like a good plan to me, much better than my original plan, which was to do like I normally do, dive head first without looking! I was thinking we would just do it all from day one, but now I'm rethinking my strategy.

I still need a grammar course for Riley, and I haven't ordered Math yet, but at least with that one, I KNOW which one I'm getting. The grammar, I have no clue. I am thinking I need to make a trip to the bookstore with notebook in hand and find some recommendations. But, I have enough here to keep us busy for a while, if I do decide to take the baby step approach.

But still, when the kids are out playing (which let's face it, doesn't happen all that often right now since it's been hovering between 105-107 for days) but when the house is quiet, and I have time all to myself, I think, wow, I'm really gonna miss them being in school for 7+ hours a day. But then I remind myself why I'm doing this, I want to be closer to my kids, I want to have more input into their lives, I want to get to know them better, and mold them into the people that I think God wants them to be. Then, who cares about a little peace and quiet, right? I have their futures in my hand. Yikes, scary thought!!

No comments:

Post a Comment