Monday, March 23, 2009

Narrowing the Field?

I thought I had narrowed the field some. I was leaning towards Switched on Schoolhouse (computer based) or Lifepacs (workbooks), both from Alpha Omega Publishing. I was also looking at My Father's World, which would be convenient because it allows one to teach multiple kids the same curriculum, I would just supplement age-appropriate math. Which math is a whole other question, although I am leaning towards Math-U-See, but David likes the idea of Singapore Math (since he will most likely have to do the math lessons, I should probably let him choose). I don't think either one of my kids is strong enough in math to jump to Singapore Math just yet.

I looked at online schools like Abeka and Christian Liberty Academy (which ironically enough, is where my little brother graduated from home-high school about 15 years ago). The issue there is, they are quite pricey, and again, not too sure about sitting in front of a computer all day. The upside is, I wouldn't have to "teach" and could just be there as backup. But, it's not quite sitting well with me.

Then I found a website called AmbleSide Online which outlines all you need for a Classical Christian education. I'm liking the sound of that. I really need, at this point, to read the book, "The Well Trained Mind" but that would require me either finding the overdue library book, or going to pay my fine (I'm going to pay it, I really am, I just haven't been by there when they are OPEN). I should probably just buy the darn thing.

So that opens many more options, are we going to try and give our kids the very best education possible, which may be the Classical approach? Or take an easier route, maybe not quite as challenging, and buy a kit or something they can be taught together? Again: options, options. I am trying to take this one year at a time, and not look at it like I'm going to be home schooling them till they graduate, but just worry about this particular year for right now.

But that's not helping me either. I still have a few months before we are making the leap, so I know I have plenty of time, but I am also very anxious to get what we need and start going through it, making lesson plans, and supplementing over the summer, because I really feel both kids are behind where they should be at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment